CDR: Re: New email could confound law enforcement

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Sep 25 14:09:02 PDT 2000

Well, after a short conversation with the USPTO's server, I now have
an application on file for a trademark which I can use to defend my
business' web address.

Unfortunately, after a short discussion with the California
Corporation Commission, it appears that I cannot now incorporate
under the name "Disappearing Inc" because these guys already did.

As it turns out, all the trademark applications they've filed that
would interfere with the application I filed are being disputed by
the USPTO as being too general -- they are mainly just descriptive
words.  So they don't actually have trademarks they could use to
kick me off my domain name yet.

Anyway -- the way it looks now, there's a decent chance of my
application being approved, and if that happens, then it will
conflict/interfere with the trademark applications they've filed
and those applications will have to be refused.  There is also
a chance that the trademark applications they have filed will
be approved, and if that happens then mine will be refused as it
will be found in conflict with theirs.

And the wheels grind on....

Sigh.  I ordered DSL service so I could put this site up on my
own server way back in April.  It's scheduled to be installed
on October 3. Argh, Argh, Argh....

				Ray