CDR: Guilding programmers.

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Sep 25 08:43:29 PDT 2000

Funny how threads mutate. Back when I started the
topic, it was in a thread called "And you thought Nazi
agitprop was controversial". It's now mutated to
"<nettime> Re: Rebirth of Guilds" and is dicussing the
freedom of lesbians to kiss in ballparks.

Anyway, my main point (which was immediately lost
in a discussion of certification programs for software
engineers) was that whenever society permits some
members of a profession to exclude other people from
entering that profession, save in conformity to the prior
members' "standards", you get high cost and/or low
quality service. Lawyers and physicians do it through
their professional organizations; and teachers through
their closed shop union contracts. There are many other
examples...

Evil Studio Executive Secretary: "Get that projector out
of here! We don't work with anyone who isn't properly
guilded!"

Mike Jittlov: (sotto voce) "You mean *gelded*."

Peter Trei
(who, for the record, does *not* have an engineering
degree, electrical or otherwise. My degree is in
Biochemistry.)