DCSB: Birthday Cake and Champagne -- DCSB's 5th Anniversary

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Sep 25 08:54:44 PDT 2000

           The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                         Presents

   well, The Digital Commerce Society of Boston, actually...

  "5 Years of Digital Commerce: An Anniversary Celebration"

        Birthday Cake and Champagne will be Served
                 Tuesday, October 3rd, 2000
                        12 - 2 PM
              The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                One Federal Street, Boston, MA
           The Club's Dress Code is Business Casual

At Noon, on Tuesday October 3rd, 1995, at the end of summer in a year
when all commerce on the internet was measured in mere tens of millions
of dollars, one year *after* the first book was bought over the net (not
on Amazon, but using a PGP-encrypted credit card between two people on
the cypherpunks list) the 29 folks below:

Richard Blatt        Pierre Bouchard
Jeffrey Bussgang     Travis J.I. Corcoran
John DeYoung         Gerald Gold
Phillip Hallam-Baker Fredrick Hapgood
Steven Hecht         Craig Heim
Robert A. Hettinga   Arthur Hutchinson
Owen D. Johnson      Howard Kaye, Jr.
John Kelly           Rohit Khare
Peter Krautscheid    David Lash
Yezdi Lashkari       Norbert Leser
Richard Lethin       David Lindbergh
Peter Loshin         Kevin B. McLellan
James O'Toole        Ken Rodrigues
Richard Salz         Jeffrey Sutherland
Christopher Wysopal

...put on their suits and ties, went to Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
on the 38th floor of the once-Shawmut, then-Fleet, now-Sovereign Bank
Building.  They had lunch, signed a membership book, and formed Boston
Society for Digital Commerce, which, at the its next meeting, at the
suggestion of Donald Eastlake "to make it more instantiable", changed its
name to the Digital Commerce Society of Boston.

Since then, every first Tuesday of the month (yes, we were the *first*
first Tuesday, though not the First First Tuesday, :-)),with exactly two
exceptions, one an act of God and the other an act of the Harvard Club
and SailBoston :-), we've met, had lunch, schmoozed a bit, and listened
to various principals in the business of digital commerce talk about how
they do what they do.

At the end of this message is a very long list of those who have spoken
to DCSB so far. If we may say so, this list is indeed impressive, not
only for the quality of the speakers and who they became, or even were at
the time, but also for the prescience of their content.

A lot of things have happened since then. Commerce on the net will soon
be measured in trillions of dollars every year, and most people now
believe that *all* commerce of any consequence will happen on the net
soon enough.

Oh. And the Harvard Club doesn't require a jacket and tie anymore. Why?
Because of commerce on the internet, of course! :-).

This meeting, we'll do something of a reprise of the first. Everyone will
be given a chance to reminisce about the last 5 years, but more
important, to predict three things that they think will happen in the
next 5.  Plus ca change, and all that. See you next week!

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held on
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2000, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of
the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for lunch is
$35.00. This price includes lunch, room rental, A/V hardware if
necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club has relaxed its
dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning no sneakers or jeans.
Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons in advance, we will be
unable to refund the price of your meal if the Club finds you in
violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or a money order, (or, if we actually
know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by
Saturday, September 30th, or you won't be on the list for lunch. Checks
payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston will have to be
sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The Harvard
Club of Boston", in the amount of $35.00. Please include your e-mail
address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements (We've
had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for instance),
please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something
out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

November    Zully Ramzan and
               Nicko van Someren          "A Micropayment Shootout"

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers. If
you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a principal in
digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation to the Society,
please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee, care of Robert
Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston, send
"info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto: majordomo at ai.mit.edu> .
If you want to subscribe to the DCSB e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb"
in the body of a message to <mailto: majordomo at ai.mit.edu> . We look
forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,
R. A. Hettinga
Moderator,
The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

- - - ----------------------------------

The 5th Anniversary List of DCSB previous meeting speakers and their
topics...

November 1995
 Win Treese
   Designing Systems for Electronic Commerce
December 1995
 Rich Salz
   A Middleware Guy Looks at Issues in Digital Commerce
January 1996
 (Still LookingŠ)
   (The lost meeting... Let us know if you remember! :-))
February 1996
 Fred Hapgood
   Digital Commerce as Living Room ExIm, Retail Replacement
March 1996
 Mark Bernkopf
   Tales from the Dark Side: Non-Anonymous Digital Cash
April 1996
 Donald Eastlake, III
   Implementing Financial Cryptography, The Cybercash Example
May 1996
 Perry Metzger
   Gold Denominated Burmese Opium Futures?
June 1996
 Frank Jaffe
   The FSTC Electronic Check Project
July 1996
 Peter Loshin
   Electronic Commerce: The State of the Art
August 1996
 Duane Hewitt
   Betting on the Future
September 1996
 Tatsuo Tanaka
   The Transnationality of Digital Cash
October 1996
 Philippe Le Roux
   Putting a Stock Exchange on the Net
November 1996
 Philip S. Corwin
   The Election and Digital Commerce Agenda
December 1996
 Black Unicorn
   Money Laundering -- The Headless Horseman of the Infocalypse
January 1997
 Rodney Thayer
   Applying PGP To Digital Commerce
February 1997
 David Kaufman
   The Internet Consumer -- 1996 in Review & Predictions for 1997
March 1997
 Daniel Greenwood
   Online Government & Electronic Commerce
April 1997
 Snowed out
   No Meeting
May 1997
 Stewart Baker
   Clinton Administration Crypto Policy
June 1997
 Fred Hapgood
   Internet as an Auction-Pricing Incubator
July 1997
 Win Treese
   IETF-TLS, Exporting Financial Cryptography, and the Prospects for SET
August 1997
 Duncan Frissell
   MarketEarth
September 1997
 Christof Paar
   Elliptic Curve Cryptography and Digital Commerce
October 1997
 Peter Cassidy
   A Future Garrisoned
November 1997
 Carl Elllison
   Identity and Certification for Digital Commerce
December 1997  James 0'Toole
   Digital Coupons and Distributed Commerce
January 1998
 Donald Eastlake, III
   "SET and UNSET"
February 1998
 Phill Hallam-Baker (into the breach for Baum, see below)
   PKI and the Commercial CA (The Next Generation :-))
March 1998
 Joseph Reagle
   Meta-data and Negotiation in Digital Commerce
April 1998
 Adam Shostack
   No Silver Bullet -- Digital Commerce and Payment Security
May 1998
 Donald Eastlake
   The Internet Open Trading Protocol
June 1998
 Michael Baum
   PKI and the Commercial CA (TOS :-))
July 1998
 Scott Guthery
   CtrlShft in the Smart Card Industry
August 1998
 Frank Jaffe
   FSTC echeck US Treasury Pilot
September 1998 Margaret Schindel
   Best Practices for Consumer Digital Commerce
October 1998
 Peter Cassidy
   Burning the Jolly Roger; Internet Anti-Piracy Technology
November 1998
 Dan Geer
   Risk Management is Where the Money Is; Trust in Digital Commerce
December 1998
 Mary Ellen Zurko
   Jonah, IBM, Open Source, and Digital Commerce
January 1999
 Ira Heffan and Mike Schmelzer
   Software Patents
February 1999
 Roland Meuller
   The European Directive on Privacy
March 1999
 Jonathan Rusch
   Internet Fraud and the Future of Digital Commerce
April 1999
 Fred Hapgood
   Product/Price Comparison in Digital Commerce
May 1999
 Chris Wysopal
   The L0pht and Client Security in Digital Commerce
June 1999
 Ron Rivest
   Microcash on the Internet, Deep Crack = MicroMint?
July 1999
 Tim Middelkoop
   Software Agent Systems for Digital Commerce
August 1999
 Ari Juels
   Outsourcing MicroMint Coins, and X-Cash
September 1999
 Andrew Odlyzko
   So, Where's All the Digital Cash?
October 1999
 Gerald Gold
   Internet Content -- Stories from the Front
November 1999
 Warren Agin
   Bankruptcy and Internet Commerce Assets
December 1999
 Pat Cain
   Trustable Internet Time and Digital Commerce
January 2000
 Elias Israel
   The Libertarians and Digital Commerce
February 2000
 Suzan Dionne Balz
   The Law of Digital Cash
March 2000
 Brad Hillis
   Implementing a State Digital Signature Law
April 2000
 Andrew Dubois
   Digital Commerce Policy in Canada
May 2000
 Yiannis Tsiounis
   InternetCash and the "loading" problem
June 2000
 Paul St. Pierre
   XML, Smartcard Wallets and Digital Commerce
July 2000
 4th of July/Tall Ships
   No Meeting
August 2000
 Bruce Schneier
   Secrets, Lies, and Digital Commerce
September 2000
 Fred Hapgood and Eric Johansson
   Post-Napster Models for Digital Commerce

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
To unsubscribe from this list, send a letter to: Majordomo at reservoir.com
In the body of the message, write:  unsubscribe dcsb-announce
Or, to subscribe,           write:  subscribe dcsb-announce
If you have questions, write to me at Owner-DCSB at reservoir.com

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA