CDR: Re: And you thought Nazi agitprop was controversial?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Sep 13 09:42:02 PDT 2000

At 11:27 AM -0400 9/13/00, Jay Holovacs wrote:
>You really don't seem to get it, defending the right to speech is NOT the
>same as defending the content (though I understand that nowhere do they
>advocate violence to children)
>
>Remember, Jodi, the *same* law that should be protecting their speech
>protects you and your allies from being prosecuted each time a gay is
>murdered or an abortion clinic bombed.

Actually, the tide of civil lawsuits against all sorts of
organizations is rising. Aryan Nations was just ordered to pay some
multimillion dollar fee because some woman was harassed or attacked
or had her feelings hurt--not sure which--by some people she claimed
were connected to or influenced by AN.

I watched noted spinster Alan Dershowitz expostulating that lawsuits
to bankrupt Aryan Nation are _good_, becuase AN espouses hate, but
that lawsuits against NAMBLA are _bad_, for some reason I didn't
stick around long enough to hear.

This issue of lawsuits about speech is a terribly important one. It
tends to get lost in the debate when people say "But the _government_
is not suppressing speech!"

Actually, it _is_. By court decisions, by even letting such lawsuits
go forward, it is supporting such suppressions of speech. "SLAPP"
suits are another example.

("Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation," as when a lumber
company slaps a civil lawsuit on a critic of their logging
operations. Even the _filing_ of a lawsuit essentially forces the
target to hire his own $400 an hour lawyers. (Yeah, I know what
Duncan would say: "Throw the subpoena away. Make yourself
judgement-proof. Ignore the matter." Well, nice theory, hard in
practice for anyone with real assets.)_

We as a culture have swung far away from "sticks and stones may break
my bones but names will never hurt me" toward a culture of lawsuits.
And the lawyer lobby supports and embraces this culture, getting laws
passed making it easier every day to suppress speech.

Crypto helps in various ways, of course. Both Aryan Nations and
NAMBLA will be helped, along with Friends of the Earth and Pacific
Lumber.

Censorious bitches like Jodi Hoffman will splutter.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.