CDR: Re: NZ: Sweeping powers for spy agencies

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Oct 30 08:11:05 PST 2000

At 6:36 AM -0500 10/30/00, John Young wrote:

>What is fascinating about this evolution is the screaming
>by domestic victims when they learn that means and methods
>are being applied to them that they wholeheartedly approve
>when aimed at foreigners, immigrants, criminals and other
>stigmatized targets such as radicals, anarchists, commies,
>neo-nazis, dissidents and whoever is different from you and
>me, well, no doubt you include me in your bullseye and me
>you when we get a whiff of the terrifying scent spread
>by the malodor-spreading criminal justice mongerers.

Just to respond to this particular part of your good rant, the U.S.
Government has not been pushing what we think of as Constitutional
rights in other countries for many decades. (Yes, I understand that
other countries are not bound by the U.S. Constitution...)

For example:

-- the aforementioned spying agreements...the U.S. gets around the
limits imposed by the C. by having foreign governments do the spying,
a la the UKUSA Agreement, etc.

-- when the U.S. invades Somalia, they disarm the population

-- when the U.S. moves into South America, as "advisors," they
educate the secret police in how to create death squads, how to
torture suspects, how to assassinate opposition leaders. (Cf. the CIA
manuals, College of the Americas, direct testimony, etc.)

-- when the U.S. casts its lot with the Zionists, the U.S. supports
the forcible movement of Palestinians from their land

-- similar anti-B.O.R. measures supported in other parts of Europe,
most of Africa, much of Asia, including support for limitations on
press freedom, local censorship (so long as it suppresses the
opponents of "our" interests), licensing, etc.

Basically, the position of U.S. officials is that the rights outlined
in the Bill of Rights are meant to apply to U.S. persons. Somalians
are to be disarmed, Columbians are to be assassinated, Palestinians
are to be herded into camps, and so on.

I'm not arguing that U.S.-style approaches should be extended by
force into foreign countries, only that certainly the U.S. Government
should not be party to setting up regimes inimical to our stated
beliefs in what civil rights should be.

---Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.