CDR: Re: NZ: Sweeping powers for spy agencies

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Oct 30 03:36:34 PST 2000

This report is consistent with DoJ's advocacy of a US national,
as well as international, system for police agencies to collect
and share criminal justice information, and to do so while there
is no law against using advanced technology for this purpose.
As noted here recently, see a presentation by DoJ on how
to override with a PR campaign citizens' concerns with privacy
violations of such systems:

   http://cryptome.org/doj-ji-pi.ppt

This continues the transfer and use of technology developed
for national security purposes to law enforcement agencies,
worldwide, with the initiative being taken by DoJ and FBI,
assisted and advised by DoD and the intel community (with
former members of the latter now employed by domestic
agencies or running companies selling natsec-derived
services to domestic customers).

What is fascinating about this evolution is the screaming
by domestic victims when they learn that means and methods
are being applied to them that they wholeheartedly approve
when aimed at foreigners, immigrants, criminals and other
stigmatized targets such as radicals, anarchists, commies,
neo-nazis, dissidents and whoever is different from you and
me, well, no doubt you include me in your bullseye and me
you when we get a whiff of the terrifying scent spread
by the malodor-spreading criminal justice mongerers.

Nothing about this whipsawing of terror and anti-terror
technology is new to this forum, but the news reports do
confirm the need to keep grinding out new outlaw means
and methods to defy the inlaw ("justice", crime-fighting)
initiatives that just cant spend money fast enough to abrade
and salve. The invention of new (advanced-tech) criminality
is high on the agenda, right up there with the propagation
of assurance that only governments can combat burgeoning
national and economic security-threatening outlawry.

What is not said, or maybe only whispered to oversighters
hairy ears, is do not ask us to look into mirrors to see
true outlaws agrinning. Do not ask us to conduct our
affairs in non-outlaw secret settings.

Turncoats are a special feature of the official outlaw
cartel, when those who once faught official criminality are
recruited to ID, track, provoke, gather evidence, indict
and convict former associates. Read Michael Froomkin
on ICANN's board members who cant forgo power-
wielding:

   http://personal.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/boardsquat.htm

This is a tip of the iceberg of large numbers of means
and methods technicians being drawn into the global
justice system with sweetheart contracts and jobs and
places on advisory boards. To serve the national interest
and to get regular whisperings from those in the know it
all business.

Here's a recent article on the price paid by scholars to
see CIA classified material:

   http://cryptome.org/cia-price.htm