CDR: Re: Ho to KICK OUT Junkbusters users

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Sun Oct 29 10:42:46 PST 2000

At 09:31 AM 10/28/00 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>At 11:19 AM -0500 10/28/00, Igor Chudov wrote:
>>I have a website (www.algebra.com) that makes money from banners. I have
>>a suspicion that a small percentage of my users uses Junkbusters proxy
>>in order to avoid seeing my banners.
>>
>>I do not want to serve such users at all and I do not want them to use
>>my bandwidth.
>>
>>Is there any way to detect a user of Junkbusters in a CGI/mod_perl script?
>
>Your presumably-misspelled subject line, "Ho to KICK OUT Junkbusters
>users," seems ironically appropriate.
>
>Though some prefer the spelling "Hoe."

When I first saw the subject, I was thinking it was some DOE weirdness.  I
was disappointed to find it was just a typo.

>As for finding ways to see who is avoiding looking at yoiur
>advertisements, most of the ad filtering is done at the recipient's
>machine, right? Gonna be hard for you to reach into their machines to see
>if they're running ad busters in a local script.

Actually you can. Junkbusters mucks with the http headers for client type.

Figuring out what it does is left as an exercise for the cgi
programmer.  (As well as getting around the problem of how to do it without
cutting off anyone behind a proxy or similar firewall.)

>As for the ads themselves, who ever looks at them? The doc com ad stream
>model has been collapsing since its inception...only in the last six
>months has the message gotten nearer to the dinosaur's brain.

Sounds like he is trying to squeeze out as much as he can while he can.

---
|             Terrorists - The Boogiemen for a new Millennium.           |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|                                                  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan at ctrl-alt-del.com|