CDR: Re: FC: U.S. Copyright Office says DeCSS bad, filtering hacking good

Nick Bretagna onemug at gdn.net
Fri Oct 27 10:58:45 PDT 2000

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from John Young <jya at pipeline.com> -----

> The two exemptions granted:
>
> "1. Compilations Consisting of Lists of Websites Blocked
> by Filtering Software Applications
>
> 2. Literary Works, Including Computer Programs and
> Databases, Protected by Access Control Mechanisms
> That Fail to Permit Access Because of Malfunction,
> Damage or Obsoleteness."

So:  our free speech -- our ability to express ideas -- is now subject
to the imprimature of the US copyright office, who we need to appeal to
for "exemptions"??

How many *other* Federal Agencies do you think will step forth to claim
this power, as well???

One would certainly hope the courts would figure this one out as
blatantly unconstitutional....

--
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Nicholas Bretagna II
mailto:afn41391 at afn.org

If we give in [to the impulse to censor and
instill speech codes] then we are giving to
the bigots the gift of our freedom. If you
give in, what you're saying is that Freedom
is less important than not being offended.
What a disaster for a country whose *soul*
depends on Liberty.
 - Alan C. Kors -