CDR: Re: Hard Shelled ISP?

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Fri Oct 27 04:10:53 PDT 2000

Ray Dillinger wrote:

> Would there be a market for someone to create an encrypted-services
> provider?  Would people do this?

I have something like this in the making. if you're working on a
similiar project - why not team up?

> Here is what I envision, at a cost of something like $10/month.
>
> Email accounts that bounce anything not encrypted - either silently
> or with a message that says "this account accepts only encrypted mail."
> at the option of the account holder.  These accounts are restricted
> in some way that makes them unattractive to spammers - probably they
> are able to send no more than 3 or 4 unencrypted emails a day, maybe
> they are unable to send *any* unencrypted email.

in addition, access to the email account is via encrypted means only:
either forwarding through S/MIME or SSL channels or IMAP with SSL.

plus a local mixmaster for sending out mail (in the process mixing it
without mail that's merely travelling through).

an optional (2nd) e-mail address can accept unencrypted mail, but before
forwarding will encrypt it (PGP). goal: your home machine never gets an
unencrypted e-mail.

> Web Hosting strictly via HTTPS.  Standard accounts get four or eight
> kilobytes accessible by http (enough for a redirect), and 100
> Megabytes or so of web space accessible by HTTPS.

not planned here. I'm on the e-mail aspect only.

data you need to provide is minimal - a username/pwd and/or a forwarding
e-mail. we don't want to know what we have no technical need to know.

all payment can be done anonymously - that's an important point and
possibly the most difficult one.

> I think this is, just barely, feasible.
> What say you all?

all of this is doable. as I said: I'm working on encrypted e-mail
services at the moment (I bounced a couple stego ideas off this list
recently).