CDR: Re: Congress proposes raiding census records.

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Fri Oct 27 07:25:50 PDT 2000

>sympathy. I'm also aware of a similar example in Mountain View, CA - it's
>pretty hard for them to bother people who use even elementary measures to
>protect their privacy and security.

I always lie on the forms and send them in.  No blowback.

The Net has had a major impact on this Census since all the politically
active types seem to be aware of the $100 fine which was not true before.

My brother refused to return his form and was contacted by his
*Neighborhood Watch* representative who had been contacted by Census. Just
like the Chinese block ladies who keep an eye on things.  Of course, he
lives in the most commie state in the union.  He could sue in a case like
this for a privacy violation by Census.

I doubt there will be any prosecutions this year.  There weren't any in
1990 or 1980 and the 1970 prosecutions ran into First Amendment selective
prosecution problems.

DCF

----
"SENATOR:  Mister Witness, do you advocate the overthrow of the government
of the Yew-nited States by force or violence?

WITNESS:  Well, Senator I've never quite thought about it in those terms
before but if I had to choose, I guess I'd choose 'violence'."