CDR: Re: Congress proposes raiding census records.

Greg Broiles gbroiles at netbox.com
Wed Oct 25 11:28:44 PDT 2000

At 12:38 PM 10/25/00 -0400, David Honig wrote:
>Real-To:  David Honig <honig at sprynet.com>
>
>At 09:45 AM 10/25/00 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> >I didn't answer even that question. I did not return the form.
> >
> >My result was the same as yours: No visits or inquiries.
> >
> >That's a shame. If I get fined $100, I can write a column about my
> >experience and sell it for much more.
> >
> >-Declan
>
>Some folks who didn't send theirs in did get visits by (otherwise
>unemployable) censusworkers.  They went away when told to do so,
>I'm told.

I'm aware of one person, living in Oakland (CA) who simply ignored the
annoying form. I'm told the Census people came to his apartment several
times but were unable to even reach his apartment door because the
apartment building had been hardened with security features which prevented
access by burglars, panhandlers, solicitors, etc., so they were forced to
leave notes requesting compliance, which didn't meet with a lot of
sympathy. I'm also aware of a similar example in Mountain View, CA - it's
pretty hard for them to bother people who use even elementary measures to
protect their privacy and security.

They can get all the data they need from Social Security, drivers' license,
and ID card data. The mandatory Census is a ridiculous waste of time and
money. Sure, it's interesting to learn about the demographic makeup of the
country, but that's not a project that needs to happen at gunpoint. (Nor
should it, if they're hoping for accurate results.)

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at netbox.com