CDR: RE: Wired News tech scorecard for U.S. House of Representatives

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Oct 24 16:04:02 PDT 2000

Rush,

This is a useful analysis. Thank you. I was considering doing one myself.

Let me try to answer your question about how a Libertarian rep would rank.
Our rankings were explictly designed to reward "hands-off" votes, so it's a
reasonable assumption that one would score highly.

But small-l and large-L libertarians disagree among themselves on what the
proper role of government should be on tech issues. Consider Ron Paul of
Texas. He has been the Libertarian candidate for president and has
reportedly never renounced his life membership in the party.

Yet he scored just 71 percent, or 5 of 7 votes. That's because he voted
against banning states from taxing the Net (probably on federalism
grounds), even though libertarian groups such as Cato and Pacific Research
Institute liked that tax-ban. (His other negatively-scored vote was an
electronic signature law.)

This scorecard is by nature brittle. If we had included more votes, it's a
near certainty that our two 100-scorers would not have perfect votes. One
is anti-porn; we (unfortunately) didn't have any Net-porn votes to include.
Neither CDA nor COPA was this session. Adding more votes would have boosted
other rankings.

Also, the scorecard was designed to focus as closely as possible on votes
that only dealt with a narrow issue. We could have included ones such as
HR1501, but then we couldn't have figured out whether reps voted for it
based on their support of filtering software or firearm restrictions.

-Declan