CDR: RE: Wired News tech scorecard for U.S. House of Representatives

Carskadden, Rush carskar at netsolve.net
Tue Oct 24 13:58:52 PDT 2000

Everyone,
     Just a quick observation here. According to the Wired chart, it appears
that the Republicans average roughly 49.85058296 and the Democrats average
roughly 47.27853081 on the Wired News scale, with one representative being
independent (Bernard Sanders), and one representative with an "A" for their
party designation (Spencer Bachus). Here's my Republicans vs. Democrats
breakdown of the Wired News chart:

Party  | Republican  | Democrat    |
-----------------------------------
HR2301 | 0.181818182 | 0.343137255 |
-----------------------------------
HR3615 | 0.153846154 | 0.024509804 |
-----------------------------------
HR3709 | 0.958715596 | 0.697115385 |
-----------------------------------
HR3125 | 0.218009479 | 0.575129534 |
-----------------------------------
HR1501 | 0.440909091 | 0.908653846 |
-----------------------------------
HR10   | 0.522522523 | 0.058252427 |
-----------------------------------
HR1714 | 0.986175115 | 0.695652174 |
-----------------------------------
total  | 3.381165919 | 3.203791469 |
-----------------------------------
votes  | 6.798206278 | 6.777251185 |
-----------------------------------
score  | 49.85058296 | 47.27853081 |
-----------------------------------

These are all just averages, and I omitted the "A" and "I" designated
representatives. In regards to the "A" designated representative, Spencer
Bachus, I think the "A" is an error. I was under the impression that he was
a Republican. If he is, in fact, a Republican, then that changes our
averages slightly:

Party  | Republican  | Democrat    |
-----------------------------------
HR2301 | 0.180995475 | 0.343137255 |
-----------------------------------
HR3615 | 0.153110048 | 0.024509804 |
-----------------------------------
HR3709 | 0.95890411 | 0.697115385 |
-----------------------------------
HR3125 | 0.216981132 | 0.575129534 |
-----------------------------------
HR1501 | 0.438914027 | 0.908653846 |
-----------------------------------
HR10   | 0.520179372 | 0.058252427 |
-----------------------------------
HR1714 | 0.986238532 | 0.695652174 |
-----------------------------------
total  | 3.375       | 3.203791469 |
-----------------------------------
votes  | 6.799107143 | 6.777251185 |
-----------------------------------
score  | 49.75558036 | 47.27853081 |
-----------------------------------

     Which still puts Republicans in more of a hands-off strategy for
technology, according to voting history. If Spencer Bachus is not a
Republican, then please tell me what the hell an "A" party designation
stands for.
     If you are interested in seeing TOTALS as opposed to AVERAGES, here is
your chart:

Party  | Republican  | Democrat    |
-----------------------------------
HR2301 | 40          | 70          |
-----------------------------------
HR3615 | 32          | 5           |
-----------------------------------
HR3709 | 210         | 145         |
-----------------------------------
HR3125 | 46          | 111         |
-----------------------------------
HR1501 | 97          | 189         |
-----------------------------------
HR10   | 116         | 12          |
-----------------------------------
HR1714 | 215         | 144         |
-----------------------------------
total  | 756         | 676         |
     To the best of my knowledge, however, this looks right. What alarms me
is that though there is a slight difference in the overall score between
Republicans and Democrats, neither party has a very strong leaning one way
or the other, which illustrates the frustrations that a two-party system
creates for those of us who would like to see a strong stance (either way)
on the issue of government regulation of technology. I anxiously await any
speculation that might take place on this list regarding how Libertarian
representatives might have voted had they been in there, but the fact is
that we live in a two-party system for the time being, and if we feel
strongly about these issues, we need to accept that our representation may
not be hearing us. Is it because we aren't speaking loudly enough on these
issues?

ok,
Rush Carskadden