CDR: Re: Re: Re: why should it be trusted?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Oct 20 17:02:50 PDT 2000

At 1:31 AM +0300 10/21/00, Sampo A Syreeni wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Riad S. Wahby wrote:
>
>>not insuring such a person.  The things we're concerned with are
>>conditions such as a familial tendency towards heart disease or a
>>possibility of developing diabetes later in life.  For the most part,
>>they're not things that prevent people from holding jobs and having
>>money.
>
>Which is precisely why there is no reason these people should not have their
>insurance at precisely the same rate as everybody else - you cannot foresee
>whether any particular individual will get the disease.

You need to brush up on "probabalistic reasoning."

If you think "you cannot foresee..." when a family history or genetic
test suggests one _can_ make money by betting, then you simply have a
very poor intuition about odds, statistics, and gambling.

As with Saper, the rest of your stuff is not even worth replying to.

---Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.