CDR: Re: FidoNet II

petro petro at bounty.org
Fri Oct 20 02:23:26 PDT 2000

Tim May:
>First, if you're going to attempt a "FidoNet II," at least use link
>encryption at every stage. Since each node knows the next node it
>will be phoning (or linking to), it's a relatively easy matter to
>encrypt to the public key of that node. This makes each node a kind
>of remailer, as someone looking only at the internode traffic will
>only see encrypted bits.
>
>Second, so long as one has done the above, might as well make each
>node an actual remailer. With all of the usual mixing of in/out
>packets, packet size padding, etc.

	Given the following:

	(1) That the phone calls are made at given times of day.

	(2) Last a specifc length--i.e. always a multiple of 5 minutes etc.

	(3) All packets in/out are encrypted.

	Would it really matter? If traffic bound for a specific node
were simply encrypted with that *nodes* public key, and every packet
encrypted to with the next nodes key, would (2) Be enough?
--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government