CDR: FidoNet II

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Oct 19 10:12:17 PDT 2000

At 10:33 AM -0400 10/19/00, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>Tom Vogt wrote:
>
>  > all you need to do is use the internet as a transport layer. it's there,
>>  so why use the phone? cops can possibly intercept your phone calls more
>>  easily than randomly routed IP packets.
>>
>>  the technology is there. all you'd need to do is set up a network of
>>  nodes that rsync itself at regular intervals, preferably using at least
>>  ssh.
>
>         At least -- but it's still subject to traffic analysis to
>discover who the
>perps are, on both ends. And yes, phones can be tapped too, but it's
>more difficult,
>takes more effort, warrants (at least here, so far).

First, if you're going to attempt a "FidoNet II," at least use link
encryption at every stage. Since each node knows the next node it
will be phoning (or linking to), it's a relatively easy matter to
encrypt to the public key of that node. This makes each node a kind
of remailer, as someone looking only at the internode traffic will
only see encrypted bits.

Second, so long as one has done the above, might as well make each
node an actual remailer. With all of the usual mixing of in/out
packets, packet size padding, etc.

Third, the use of radio links has come up several times over the
years. A couple of early Cypherpunks were involved in packet radio
and addressed the issue. By the way, the FCC still has restrictions
on encrption over the airwaves, as I understand things.

(One can argue that a micropower transmitter, or a "Part 15"
transmitter, is exempt or undetectable, but this may not be enough if
the Feds really want a bust.)

Fourth, given the speeds of the Net, given the move to put phone
calls over the Net, given the many tools...why on earth would anyone
want to revive FidoNet? Implement remailer protocols to do a virtual
FidoNet, perhaps, but don't actually have machines phoning up other
machines!

Fifth, notwithstanding all these comments, go for it.

>But I've been thinking more
>about this and realized that packet radio is really the best
>transport medium, done
>in burst modes on shortwave or even CB frequencies with big linear
>amps. A pirate
>packet network,  with some stations just running scanners and
>gatewaying into the
>internet maybe.

Watch out for those trucks with the rotating antennas.

>  > But now - the ability to propagate fragments universally - e.g. usenet,
>  > email, web, etc., in encrypted and stego'd forms - that's interesting.

Spread-spectrum.

>  > I'm not providing a very succinct description at the moment, but I think
>>  you get the drift. Its about obscuring the origins of requests and
>>  answers from casual and perhaps programmatic observation. Its not
>>  downloading an encrypted web page from a single server. Its about
>>  acquiring that page from a variety of places as encrypted fragments,
>>  that might appear as casual requests. And going to a particular server
>  > does not cause a particular piece of data to be delivered - from that
>  > server, but it may be delivered later from another machine.
>  >
>  > So back channel is really about creating this virtual back channel using
>>  the store and forward approach. The channel's packets are encrypted, and
>  > the node is non-deterministic in its behavior.

Laudable. Sounds like you're recapitulating the early years of the
Cypherpunks list discussions.

Look to remailer networks and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Would radio offer advantages worth the effort of going to a different
transmission mechanism? Wireless, a la Bluetooth and obviously via
Ricochet, etc., is already here. A ham radio system, even one based
around the "big linear amps" you speculated about earlier, would have
a long uphill struggle.

Still, a worthy outlet for your energies.

Between your thinking above and your recent search for Vinge, sounds
like you're moving squarely into the crypto anarchy camp. Maybe
there's hope as well for Nathan Saper and all of the other commies on
the list.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.