CDR: Re: Re: Insurance (was: why should it be trusted?) cpunk

jim bell jimdbell at home.com
Thu Oct 19 13:47:13 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Trei, Peter <ptrei at rsasecurity.com>

> While by default I hold libertarian positions, doing so sometimes
> requires uncomfortable contortions.
>
> Who, for example, should the inhabitants of Tuvalu sue for rising
> sea levels?

Maybe that problem is solved elsewhere.  To the extent that rising CO2
levels lead to that problem, that could be solved by getting rid of the
politicians who pass anti-hemp (burning hemp products merely re-cycles CO2
that was taken out of the atmosphere weeks/months ago, not millions of years
ago) laws and the cops (term used generically) who enforce them.  Naturally,
with a functioning AP system, of course!

And if you've been following science issues over the last few years, it is
now shown that dumping iron ions (at nanomolar levels) in the south Pacific
ocean greatly assists the growing of biota which sequester CO2 from the
atmosphere.  Sure, as easy as this may end up being, that's going to require
SOME effort and thus some cost, but perhaps it's a cost that would be
happily borne by the fossil-fuel users (being a tiny fraction of the cost of
the fuel itself) if they want to avoid some of their number being
occasionally and randomly bumped off by some Tuvalu-financed (Not to mention
Venice!) death-squads.

I think you'll find that what may start out by looking like "uncomfortable
contortions" look less and less uncomfortable as we abandon unstated
assumptions and dearly (or even subconsciously) held beliefs.