CDR: Subway (was I created the "Al Gore created the Internet" )

Harmon Seaver hseaver at harmon.arrowhead.lib.mn.us
Thu Oct 19 07:33:46 PDT 2000

Tom Vogt wrote:

> all you need to do is use the internet as a transport layer. it's there,
> so why use the phone? cops can possibly intercept your phone calls more
> easily than randomly routed IP packets.
>
> the technology is there. all you'd need to do is set up a network of
> nodes that rsync itself at regular intervals, preferably using at least
> ssh.

        At least -- but it's still subject to traffic analysis to discover who the
perps are, on both ends. And yes, phones can be tapped too, but it's more difficult,
takes more effort, warrants (at least here, so far). But I've been thinking more
about this and realized that packet radio is really the best transport medium, done
in burst modes on shortwave or even CB frequencies with big linear amps. A pirate
packet network,  with some stations just running scanners and gatewaying into the
internet maybe.  Or just design a easily built TNC to work with standard modems and
running off AM or shorwave radio receivers, widely publish the schematics, and the
code, so anybody, anywhere in the world could just listen in, and, if they dared
(and had a transmitter) become a broadcast node as well.  Bursts, especially on
random frequencies, are pretty hard to pinpoint, but computer run scanners with a
"tcp/ip" to reassemble fragmented packets can listen and gather.
        Here's what someone else was saying to me on this, altho he's pretty much
concentrating on the net as a transport medium, while I think we might want soon
want (and  for places like China right now) to have something which might easily be
monitored, but not easily stopped. And if it's all in strong crypto, who cares who
monitors it -- while strong crypto in email could easily just become verboten on the
net.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS     Systems Librarian
Arrowhead Library System        Virginia, MN