CDR: Re: Subway (was I created the "Al Gore created the Internet" )

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Thu Oct 19 08:17:22 PDT 2000

Harmon Seaver wrote:
>         At least -- but it's still subject to traffic analysis to discover who the
> perps are, on both ends.

the idea would be to sync everything. that a) means lots of "innocent"
traffic and b) gives you a deniability shield. "yeah, those subversive
texts were on my node. but I had no control over that, since there is no
way I could filter what comes in."

> And yes, phones can be tapped too, but it's more difficult,
> takes more effort, warrants (at least here, so far). But I've been thinking more
> about this and realized that packet radio is really the best transport medium, done
> in burst modes on shortwave or even CB frequencies with big linear amps. A pirate
> packet network,  with some stations just running scanners and gatewaying into the
> internet maybe.

give me the hardware for less than $1000 and I'll be the first to set up
a node in germany's second-largest city.

> monitored, but not easily stopped. And if it's all in strong crypto, who cares who
> monitors it -- while strong crypto in email could easily just become verboten on the
> net.

here's a cookie: run a large file-sharing network as outlined above.
every file has an associated key and signature. you can replace by
signing the replacement with the same key.
now you have a few gigs of data distributed around the world. chaff and
winnow it or use stego on some of the images.

downside: end-users with 28k modems are pretty much out of the picture
since they can't move enough bytes around.