CDR: Re: Stop spam!

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Oct 17 13:33:26 PDT 2000

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, John Galt wrote:

>Cypherpunks is archived?  Isn't that against what most cypherpunks stand
>for?  I know it sets up a "style fingerprint" attack against anonymity...

Do you imagine for an instant that a list like this could go out,
be available to anonymous people, and *NOT* be archived?  I guarantee
various interested parties including Law Enforcement Agencies are
archiving it, and would be whether or not anyone else did and whether
or not any public archives were available.  In fact, I'm betting that
their archives are more complete than the ones on the web, and I wish
we could restore some stuff from those records that's gotten lost from
the web archives. In particular, I designed a digital-cash protocol
once and discussed it on this list, and it's not in the web archives.
I'd like to have that back, it would save me some design work when I
go to implement it.

We can't stop anybody who gets cypherpunks from archiving it.  We
can't stop anybody from getting cypherpunks.  QED, there *are*
archives.  Some of them might as well be public.  Occasionally
they are useful, or contain worthwhile URL's.

				Bear