CDR: "Cypherpunks is archived?"

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Oct 17 17:24:53 PDT 2000

At 1:33 PM -0700 10/17/00, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, John Galt wrote:
>
>>Cypherpunks is archived?  Isn't that against what most cypherpunks stand
>>for?  I know it sets up a "style fingerprint" attack against anonymity...
>
>Do you imagine for an instant that a list like this could go out,
>be available to anonymous people, and *NOT* be archived?  I guarantee
>various interested parties including Law Enforcement Agencies are
>archiving it, and would be whether or not anyone else did and whether
>or not any public archives were available.  In fact, I'm betting that
>their archives are more complete than the ones on the web, and I wish
>we could restore some stuff from those records that's gotten lost from
>the web archives. In particular, I designed a digital-cash protocol
>once and discussed it on this list, and it's not in the web archives.
>I'd like to have that back, it would save me some design work when I
>go to implement it.
>
>We can't stop anybody who gets cypherpunks from archiving it.  We
>can't stop anybody from getting cypherpunks.  QED, there *are*
>archives.  Some of them might as well be public.  Occasionally
>they are useful, or contain worthwhile URL's.

Not only this, but it was a backburner project for several years to
take the toad archives and convert them to a CD-ROM for distribution.
So much for "against what most cypherpunks stand for."

Cypherpunks don't believe that security comes through obscurity.
Those who wish to protect their identities should take positive
measures to do so.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.