CDR: Re: A famine averted...

James A.. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Oct 15 11:56:09 PDT 2000

     --
At 12:04 PM 10/14/2000 -0700, Richard Fiero wrote:
 > With respect to equilibria, it's an unwarranted assumption that a
 > market has just one stable point.  Certainly the Great Depression
 > was a stable but undesirable situation.

It was only stable thanks to massive government intervention.

You will notice that the recent Asian crisis started with a market crisis
of confidence in government financial instruments similar to that which
occurred just before the beginning of the great depression.

The Asian governments responded to this crisis by looking at what
governments did back during the great depression, and proceeding to do the
opposite of whatever governments did back then.

While the crisis of confidence caused some initial hardship, this would
have swiftly evaporated as it did in the Asian crisis.  What really caused
the great depression in the United states was Smoot Hawley and government
intervention to maintain artificially high wages for some groups, and
artificially high prices to pay those artificially high wages.

Similar wage and price policies in France today are accompanied by
similarly high permanent unemployment, with totalitarian parties receiving
a larger vote in France than they ever received in America during the great
depression.  If those wage and price policies were accompanied by Smoot
Hawley, we would probably soon enough get a totalitarian regime in France.

In Spain during the great depression, they simultaneously employed
artificial wage policies, Smoot Hawley like tariff policies, and also
massive Keynsian stimulation.  This had the interesting result that they
suffered an inflationary depression, the first major occurrence of the
infamous stagflation, and did wind up with a totalitarian regime.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      /Il4oyhjZLMpYwPkHNBPkbDOvCqdT3i6s2Idi6VJ
      4sWymZlb3VNvWA2v0KrisTwsq0/5Ts0zVfqLM8ICX