CDR: Re: A famine averted...

Richard Fiero rfiero at pophost.com
Sun Oct 15 20:40:32 PDT 2000

James A.. Donald wrote:

>At 12:04 PM 10/14/2000 -0700, Richard Fiero wrote:
> > With respect to equilibria, it's an unwarranted assumption that a
> > market has just one stable point.  Certainly the Great Depression
> > was a stable but undesirable situation.
>
>It was only stable thanks to massive government intervention.
> . . .

Jah jah, Herr Donald. Yes, the stupid and pampered working class caused
businessmen to not invest in production and wages sufficient to consume
the output. Haha! Perhaps at gunpoint the slackers will work a bit
harder. Or faced with starvation and no health care the louts will
return to their machines. Oops, sounds like today. A wooden shoe, a
sabot, in your machine, sir.

But this was a deflationary spiral where an investment today is worth
less tomorrow, or the same investment can be made cheaper tomorrow --
or next year.

Not being a theologian, I can only offer Friedrich Hayek's sadly wrong
observations:
"[U]p to 1927 I should have expected that the subsequent depression
would be  very mild. But in that year an entirely unprecedented action
was taken by the American monetary authorities [who] succeeded, by
means of an easy-money policy, inaugurated as soon as the symptoms of
an impending reaction were noticed, in prolonging the boom for two
years beyond what would otherwise have been its natural end. And when
the crisis finally occurred, deliberate attempts were made to prevent,
by all conceivable means, the normal process of liquidation."

This is contrary to events. Fearing a bubble, the Fed tightened not
loosened.

As Herbert Hoover later wrote:
"The 'leave-it-alone liquidationists' headed by Secretary of the
Treasury Mellon felt that government must keep its hands off and let
the slump liquidate itself. Mr. Mellon had only one formula: 'Liquidate
labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate'.
He held that even panic was not altogether a bad thing. He said: 'It
will purge the rottenness out of the system. High costs of living and
high living will come down. People will work harder, live a more moral
life. Values will be adjusted, and enterprising people will pick up the
wrecks from less competent people.'"

Friedrich Hayek again:
"...still more difficult to see what lasting good effects can come from
credit expansion. The thing which is most needed to secure healthy
conditions is the most speedy and complete adaptation possible of the
structure of production. If the proportion as determined by the
voluntary decisions of individuals is distorted by the creation of
artificial demand resources [are] again led into a wrong direction and
a definite and lasting adjustment is again postponed. The only way
permanently to 'mobilise' all available resources is, therefore to
leave it to time to effect a permanent cure by the slow process of
adapting the structure of production..."

And herein we wander off into fantasy land: