CDR: Re: stego for the censored

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Thu Oct 5 09:33:55 PDT 2000

Tim May wrote:
> Music. CDs are rarely restricted...DATs are probably uncommon, though.

MP3 ?

let's mix that with an idea I've been discussing in private mail. here's
a proposal:

set up a service that you can subscribe to. say: www.dailymusic.com -
fill out a profile and we select a random number of songs from our huge
archive of free mp3s that we believe you will like (snippets actually,
with links to the full-length version). there's a constantly changing
webpage for you that shows a list of songs. if you heard one (by
clicking on the link), it's removed, and sometime later (all random!) a
new one will be added.

set up a second service, say: www.cryptomail.com - where you can
subscribe for an e-mail address. however, we don't forward the mails to
you, we stego them into an mp3. you automatically get a subscription
with the first service as well, except that the number of songs isn't
random for you, it's the number of mails you got.

to avoid checksum creation, the snippets are made randomly and/or all
songs  have a "watermark" (with timestamp) implemented by, guess what,
steganographic means.

comments? the dailymusic.com service serves as a deniability front.
since there is NO hint on it's website to the other service, you can
plausably deny that you know about that one.