CDR: Re: stego for the censored

jim bell jimdbell at home.com
Thu Oct 5 13:12:26 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim May <tcmay at got.net>
To: Tom Vogt <tom at ricardo.de>; <cypherpunks at cyberpass.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: stego for the censored

> At 2:31 PM +0200 10/5/00, Tom Vogt wrote:
> >I'm currently looking for a way to get encrypted data via stego to
> >people who live in countries where crypto is illegal, and who may be
> >watched. so just sending them a large graphic would likely arouse
> >suspicion.
> >
> >the 2 best solutions I've come up with so far are porn and spam. both
> >are readily believable, even in large quantities.
> >the problem with porn is that it may be illegal in itself in the same
> >countries. the problem with spam is that ascii text just doesn't offer
> >much to hide stego in (whitespacing, etc. is both easy to find and can
> >store very little data).
>

> Music. CDs are rarely restricted...DATs are probably uncommon, though.
>
> A typical 700 MB CD carries 43 MB in the LSBs. The LSBs are at the
> microphone/cabe/preamp noise levels..probably even the 2nd least
> significant bits as well.

I can see an excellent application for all of our old long-out-of-print
LP's:  Digitize them (assuming we still have an operational turntable!) and
the noise level will be comfortably high.  And, there is no digital
"reference" for this audio anywhere, so comparisons will be virtually
impossible.  (Just re-digitize the same LP for an dramatically-different
dataset, at least in the 6-7 LSB's.)