Questions of size...

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Thu Nov 30 17:14:30 PST 2000

The list, by consensus of the operators, has a 1M file size limit. If you
can't handle it don't ask others to discard inches...

Oh, and to actually return to Sunders original point of copyright. Editing
the copyrighted file actually shows intent. At least my excuse is the god
damned software is intentionaly designed to force the behaviour.

But I did find a way to remove the attachments with only 1 extra click.
Though Netscape screams like a banshee when you do it (You pick up
another extra click here as well which makes the exercise entirely too
tedious - and I'm sure as hell not opening another(!) window - you've
got your modem picadillo and I've got my software elegance standard -
Want respect? Give it.). Clearly Netscape feels that the argument over
unintentional (or 'forced' depending upon POV) copyright violations are
less important than keeping attachments on 'send page' commands. It's
always seemed to me that it would have made more sense to fetch the page
reference when the mail was opened. But I didn't write the friggin beasty.
If you don't like the behaviour then send a note to Netscape. I'm not
going to do anything except keep transiently using the program and to keep
participating in the list. If that means the occassional unintended
attachment then so be it.

Deal with it. If it really bothers you but you don't want to unsub then
you can kill file (Mommy, can I go out and kill tonite?) or you can start
your own node. File size limitations would be completely acceptable so
long as you don't truncate the messages on the backbone that you forward
to other core nodes. File size truncation would need to be limited to
your direct subscribers only.

You are of course always welcome to keep whinning. Empower the individual!

The behaviour of the leading proponents of crypto-anarchy when faced with
'non-compliant' behaviour is clear evidence of why the philosophy doesn't
work.

Over and out.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com