More mail format flames [was Re: Poe puzzle solved after 150 year s]

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Thu Nov 30 16:42:42 PST 2000

You'd have a point, except.

1. Bob's entire letter is 5822 bytes; the original page, even
without the URL and mail headers, is 8453, for a saving of
32%. Still, I'd have prefered that Bob had edited it more
carefully, or just given the first few paragraphs and a link.

2. <=6k isn't all that much - the complaints against your
practice were started by a message many times as long
as this.

3. Bob posted the text, not an attachment. requiring
extra processing to view.

Generally, I'd like people to post only enough for me to
know whether or not I want to see the whole message,
I can then go through appropriate anonymizers if needed
to see the whole message. You tend to publish only
a subject line, a URL, and THE ENTIRE PAGE as
an attachment.

I just sorted my unarchived cpunk's messages by size.
(the collection goes back to the beginning of May, and has
8060 messages. I delete obvious spam).

Of the 20 largest messages, you posted 13, including
all of the 6 largest. Others on the bandwidth hog list
include anonymous, Bill Payne (twice), Bob, A. Oellermann,
Roy Silvernail, and Declan.

Peter

> ----------
> From: 	Jim Choate[SMTP:ravage at einstein.ssz.com]
[...]
> Talk about a double-standard...
[...]
>        The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
[...]
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
>

> http://www.nandotimes.com/noframes/story/0,2107,500285318-500450084-502935
> 451-0,00.html

> > Code breakers believe Poe puzzle solved after 150 years

[...]