CDR: Re: Authenticate the "adult field", go to jail...

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Nov 29 13:44:44 PST 2000

At 3:57 PM -0500 11/29/00, David Honig wrote:
>At 02:41 PM 11/29/00 -0500, obvious at beta.freedom.net wrote:
>>In fact if anything this kind of prosecution is an argument *against*
>>getting into the ecash/ecredential business, especially if it is focused
>>on porn as some have proposed.  All you need is for someone to use it
>>to sell or authorize access to kiddie porn, and you're going to jail.
>>
>>Obvious.
>
>Great way to entrap, too.  Switch content, then bang.
>
>Some kind of 'common-carrier' protection would be helpful
>to those providing generic services like credit card validation.

The actual credit card companies have never, that I know of, been
implicated in any of the Net porn cases (I don't mean "child porn," I
mean the various cases we have heard about over the past dozen years,
a la "Amateur Action').

This may say that they have a good team of lawyers and that local DAs
like to cherry-pick their cases to go after less well-lawyered
targets. Or it may say that there is an element of scienter involved.

>If the folks being charged made the case that they didn't know some
>of the content was 'tainted', they should get off.  You'd have to
>show that they were guilty of thoughtcrime themselves.

Scienter, i.e., knowledge. On the other hand, "ignorance of the law
is no excuse."

Note that hotel operators are not held to be co-criminals when their
hotel rooms are used for drug-dealing, prostitution (*), planning of
crimes, etc.

(* Unless the hotel and/or its managers were knowingly involved, as
is sometimes the case with hotels. But, still, if a murder or theft
or whatever happens in a hotel room, the hotel owner is seldom
charged.)

There should be similar inkeeper's exemptions for ISPs and payment
intermediaries.

There are many examples where credit card companies are used in
transactions which turn out to be illegal. So?

And the issue is not really whether the CC company "knows" what is
being bought.

If I buy a gun with a CC number, and it turns out this was an illegal
transaction, and the CC company clearly knew that a purchase was of a
gun, does this implicate them?

How about CC numbers being used at flea markets, where a substantial
portion of the goods being hawked are stolen? Or pirated (CDs)?

The notion of arresting those who act as financial intermediaries
should be tested in the courts.

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)