CDR: Re: Jim Bell arrested, documents online

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Nov 22 09:17:00 PST 2000

At 08:31 PM 11/21/00 -0500, Ray Dillinger wrote:

>I have just read his paper on Assassination Politics, at
>
>Basically, assassination is illegal, and the courts will
>interpret the law in whatever way they need to in order
>to stop assassinations from happening.

>Even if they couldn't find a specific law to charge the
>operator of an AP server with, or couldn't get a conviction
>on the laws they'd charged him/her with, they would doubtless
>issue a court order commanding the operators of the server
>to cease and desist.

Correct, except that you haven't grasped that it will be impossible
to trace anything to anyone.

To see this, you need to imagine truly anonymous payment schemes
and truly anonymous information publishing.  [The latter tech
exists, the former has to deal with interfacing with the US dominated
financial web, and exchanging ecredits for meatthings.  Meat being
succeptible to guns & cruise missiles, of course.]

Bell's observation is simply: if you have these two (cash & freedom of
speech), look at what one could build.  And the social implications thereof.