CDR: Re: Public Key Infrastructure: An Artifact...

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Mon Nov 20 12:18:42 PST 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> At 12:10 PM -0500 on 11/20/00, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:
>
> > If CAs
> > included a financial guarantee of whatever it is they are asserting
> > when they issue a certificate, then all these problems would go away.
>
> Right.

Bonding would not fix this problem. It only moves the question of identity
and responsibility to the bonding agency. You've still solved nothing.

> Like Ellison (and Metzger :-)) have said for years now, the only
> "assertions" worth making are financial ones. "Identity", biometric/meat,
> or otherwise, is only a proxy for asset protection anyway.

Bullshit. Identity is a asset as much as a digital balance in my banks
computer. This is a false distinction.

> I claim you can do this on the net without the current mystification of
> identity that exists in the financial system, using bearer asset
> cryptography, among other things, but that's another discussion altogether.

But how do you certify the bearer's identity without a CA or reverting to
something along the lines of the PGP web-of-trust? Who writes and
certifies the bearer algorithms?

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com