Public Key Infrastructure: An Artifact...

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Nov 20 10:25:19 PST 2000

At 12:10 PM -0500 on 11/20/00, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:

> If CAs
> included a financial guarantee of whatever it is they are asserting
> when they issue a certificate, then all these problems would go away.

Right.

Like Ellison (and Metzger :-)) have said for years now, the only
"assertions" worth making are financial ones. "Identity", biometric/meat,
or otherwise, is only a proxy for asset protection anyway.

I claim you can do this on the net without the current mystification of
identity that exists in the financial system, using bearer asset
cryptography, among other things, but that's another discussion altogether.

Cheers,
RAH
--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA