CDR: Beware the Ides of May

auto58194 at hushmail.com auto58194 at hushmail.com
Mon Nov 13 02:09:53 PST 2000

Am I the only one delighting in the irony of someone using the name Orwell
having no better writing skills than to rely on repetitive phrases in an
attempt to brainwash us into thinking that Herr May is the enemy?

I realize the traditional Internet way to deal with these fools is to ignore
them, but perhaps pointing out the humorous side helps make this junk a
bit easier to read.  Or am I also the only one finding it difficult to believe
that the Cypherpunks lists have been besieged by those attempting to make
a case of state-sponsored censorship?  Sure, Jody went away and eventually
one can suspect that George will too, but does it matter that they go away
when they're replaced by those with the same agenda?

Cypherpunks don't write as much code as they used to (and hey, I still use
LCM PRNG's because they're sufficient for my needs), but the lists also
serve as an example of the Cypherpunk ideals regarding privacy, free speech,
 and anonymity.  Not just technical discussions about how to achieve and
protect these ideals, but discussions that show the need for them.  Perhaps
it has been realized that it's not the tools that are a danger to those
in power, but the ideas that lead to a desire for them.

It's always been easy to complain that law enforcement, politicians, and
other state workers don't understand crypto, but one needs to consider that
it's not crypto itself that's important, it's the ideas that need to be
protected using crypto that are important.   Sure, protecting the right
of people to speak out against their unelected totalitarian government seems
like a justifiable high-minded use of crypto compared to protecting the
rights of a cranky neo-anarchist from California, but isn't the whole point
supposed to be that it's not what's being protected that's important, just
that it can be protected?

Has Tim suddenly changed in some way to have recently become so dangerous
that he must be attacked from the left to expose his evil right-wing thoughts?
 Or is this part of a campaign to demonstrate the danger inherent in the
popular use of crypto by linking it to the dangerous thoughts of one man?
 What ideas will be declared dangerous next, and what people will be used
to demonstrate that danger?

I don't claim there's a conspiracy, I merely point out that those who attack
Tim's dangerous thoughts are also attacking crypto.  Whether it's an intentional
organized activity or merely the knee-jerk responses of children hiding
being "proper ideology", the result is the same.  Jim Bell's dangerous ideas
have resulted in his freedoms and property being confiscated, and no doubt
there are those who would wish the same for Tim.  To the spectators: beware
Tim May and his dangerous ideas, because if his ideas are dangerous, so
are yours.

Here's to being dangerous.