CDR: "We may face a situation like a general nuclear war"

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Nov 10 16:43:55 PST 2000

Noted presidential historian Michael Beschloss just had a very
interesting point on the "Lehrer News Hour" on PBS. He thinks it
fairly likely now that the spreading litigation, recounts, and
marches in the streets will lead to a situation much like a nuclear
war.

(For those of you now watching and reading the massive coverage,
there are many news developments: New Mexico is now back in the
"undecided" category, as additional late votes are counted--including
200 votes mysteriously missing but recovered today, the police and
DA's office in Milwaukee are investigating reports that Democrats
were offering cartons of cigarettes for votes for Gore and that piles
of ballots were handed out in heavily-Democrat precincts, the Iowa,
Oregon, and Wisconsin results may be challenged, and a million
absentee votes in California have yet to be counted.)

Beschloss, by the way, said that this event is "much weirder than
Watergate." He said it's a potentially much more serious crisis than
Watergate was. And it has developed in 48 hours, not two years.

Delicious.

Whichever side loses, it will attack the winning side with a new
venom. Scorched earth, as Leon Panetta just put it. I like Beschoss'
characterization of it as an escalating nuclear war scenario.

There's a mass "Re-vote in Florida!" rally happening tomorrow (and
the 18th, and perhaps every Saturday afterwards...) in 50 cities and
towns. Northern California alone has several of these. I may go to
the one in Santa Cruz tomorrow ("Town Clock") and spread what
disinformation I can.

Delicious.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.