CDR: Re: "We may face a situation like a general nuclear war"

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Nov 10 16:59:07 PST 2000

At 4:43 PM -0800 11/10/00, Tim May wrote:
>Noted presidential historian Michael Beschloss just had a very
>interesting point on the "Lehrer News Hour" on PBS. He thinks it
>fairly likely now that the spreading litigation, recounts, and
>marches in the streets will lead to a situation much like a nuclear
>war.

By "like a nuclear war" he meant, and I mean, like the escalation
scenarios for a nuclear war. Not the damage effects, unless things
get _really_ weird.

This was clear from his context, and from general game-theoretic
discussions over the years about nuclear war. For example, "use them
or lose them," counter-force," "scorched earth," and similar
scenarios and metaphors.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.