CDR: Electoral college (was: Re: More blather from the DEMS on FL]

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Thu Nov 9 17:57:58 PST 2000

At 10:51 -0500 11/9/00, Trei, Peter wrote:
>>  evanmcmullen at yahoo.com] wrote:
>>
>>  what the hell is the electoral college still doing in existance? it
>>  should have gone out w/ unlimited presidential terms.... voting with
>>  their conscience my ass.... voting in a partisan fashion is more like it
>>
>[Learn to use your 'Shift' key; it's there for a reason.]
>
>I expect that we still have an electoral college because amending the
>Constitution is a very laborious process, and fixing it has no constituancy;
>one party is about as likely to benefit from it as another.

I think underlying the electoral question is a more fundamental
issue- as you said in later in your message, if the race isn't close,
it doesn't matter.  The question then is "in a fairly close race is
it better for the president to be the person who represents the most
people or the person who represents the most territory". The
electoral college is designed choose the president based on
territorial representation.
--

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly