CDR: Recommended csmonitor.com article

foo at bar.net foo at bar.net
Thu Nov 9 07:57:59 PST 2000

foo at bar.net has recommended this article from
The Christian Science Monitor's electronic edition.

One for Tim May

Click here to email this story to a friend:
http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2000/10/31/text/p15s1.txt

Click here to read this story online:
http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2000/10/31/fp15s1-csm.shtml

Headline:  A college course turns to the streets for real-life lessons
Byline:
Date: 10/31/2000
Matthew is not what you'd consider a typical expert enlisted to share
his experience with college students. He hasn't earned a degree. He
doesn't have an office - or even a phone.

But on a recent warm October day, a group of college students are
spellbound as Matthew shares his first-hand expertise in a problem they
witness every day: homelessness.

Holding court in the Boston subway as trains screech through the dark,
Matthew educates his audience - members of an unusual class on
homelessness and poverty from the University of Massachusetts at
Amherst - about everything from finding food to breaking through locked
doors in search of a warm place to sleep.

All it takes, he intones, is one bad winter night. "I'm freezing,
there's nowhere to go," he says of his thought process. "You want to
get in, you need to get in."

The course's goal is an understanding of homelessness that transcends
classroom lectures and policy discussions. Reflective of efforts at
colleges around the country to enhance in-class study with hands-on
experience, the class combines service learning with lectures.

Reading and writing assignments cover political, economic, and
historical aspects of poverty (see story, below). Students also hand
out food and clothing.

Through the wide-ranging approach, participants - whose majors range
from engineering to sociology - hope not only to gain a clearer sense
of the world beyond their dorm rooms, but also to probe for solutions
to a seemingly intractable problem.

Indeed, more than 700,000 people in America were homeless on any given
night in 1999, and up to 2 million people during the year, according to
National Coalition for the Homeless. Many are hampered by a lack of
affordable rents and buildings that accommodate group living.

Sandwiches and socks

On this particular day, the U-Mass group joins students from Dartmouth
College, Boston University, and other schools where volunteers work
with an outreach program called City Reach.

The students organize a clothing giveaway at St. Paul's Episcopal
Cathedral. Then they fill their backpacks with sandwiches and socks and
head out on the streets in small teams.

As they pass park benches, narrow alleys, and expansive fields, they
hear a common message from the former truck drivers, teachers, and war
veterans who make up the homeless community: We never thought it would
happen to us.

Matthew, who has lived on the street for three years since losing his
job, tells students that one night a few years ago, he broke into a
train station and slept on a marble bench. He awoke to commuters
reading newspapers.

"I prayed I hadn't been snoring," he says with a chuckle. But, he adds,
"people walked right past me. It's like a whole other world..., another
speed."

A key element in this kind of a class is careful planning and focus to
avoid seeming voyeuristic, says Meg Campbell, a lecturer at the Harvard
Graduate School of Education.

"It can sharpen and form life directions," she says. "You can't become
an auto mechanic without practicing on the car. It requires added work
from the teacher..., a great deal of respect and planning."

Firsthand insights

Students agree, pointing to the advantages of gaining firsthand
insights.

"Both [of us] are students and teachers," says Eric Chapdelaine, a
senior and biochemistry major at U-Mass. "I learned more in the one
class [in which a homeless man] came and talked to us than I learned in
all my four years. You meet these people on the streets and you realize
that without parents or a support system you could easily become
homeless."

On the walk, a few students quietly stand over a man sleeping on a park
bench in Boston Common. One places food and juice nearby. As they
continue, Matthew describes the struggles of not having a roof to sleep
under. He points to a tree where one homeless friend froze to death. He
recalls retreats to spacious bathrooms in the John Hancock building to
get some "peace and quiet." He also tells of sleeping in the winter
over the heating grates outside the library.

These personal stories are what students say they will remember most
from the weekend. Yet some at first feel anxiety about the
interactions, says their teacher, the Rev. Chris Carlisle. But he says
they tend to walk away feeling "empowered to do something about it."
The class "helps illuminate commonalities in a socioeconomic system
that emphasizes differences."

Bill, who has lived in a shelter for more than a year, explains that
stereotyping the homeless is a common mistake. Just short of earning a
PhD, he used to teach music in public schools. But he lost his home
when he suffered from depression.

"If someone tells you a homeless person is a bum with a dirty raincoat,
a hat without a brim, and oily pants on, then what are you gonna say to
them?" he asks the students.

"It's not the case," students respond in unison.

He's currently involved in work-placement programs and hopes to find a
home soon. Educating students keeps him focused, he says, and he hopes
they will work toward solutions.

Some possibilities include strengthening job programs, building more
affordable housing, and helping low-income people improve their credit,
everyone agrees. Many homeless - who are typically single, minority
males - have disabilities or addictions that keep them from working.

Though some people without homes say they are unmotivated, a large
number possess a drive to succeed but lack resources or education, adds
Don, a war veteran who lives in a shelter. Don just started a
merchandising job at Filene's Basement and hopes to have a place of his
own soon. "I'm here because I didn't want to be sitting up there
watching TV with all the other men and not doing anything," he says.

As they leave, students discuss other solutions, which include putting
decisionmakers in closer touch with the problems and creating programs
that encourage changes in behavior. Matthew, for one, advocates as a
temporary solution that churches open their doors to the homeless at
night.

But most important, students say they walk away with a newfound respect
for homeless people. "I was just amazed at how active some of them
are.... I don't know what they're not capable of," says Carl Gieringer,
who traveled to Boston with his church group at Dartmouth.

Jenna Sippel, a sophomore at U Mass, agrees. "It's totally humbling.
These people have so much faith.... It makes me want to be like them."

E-mail cooks at csps.com

(c) Copyright 2000 The Christian Science Monitor.  All rights reserved.

Click here to email this story to a friend:
http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2000/10/31/text/p15s1.txt

The Christian Science Monitor-- an independent daily newspaper providing context and clarity on national and international news, peoples and cultures, and social trends.  Online at http://www.csmonitor.com

Click here to order a free sample copy of the print edition of the Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com/advertising/order_page.html