CDR: Re: FW: BLOCK: AT&T signs bulk hosting contract with spammers

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Thu Nov 2 15:02:47 PST 2000

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Kevin Elliott wrote:

> At 07:40 -0800 11/1/00, James Wilson wrote:
> >If any of you get services from AT&T you might want to start looking for a
> >more ethical carrier (if one exists) - AT&T has been caught red handed
> >hosting spammers and promising not to terminate their services.
>
> You know, I don't like spammers any more than the next guy, but come
> on.  Unethical?  we're not talking genocide and it's not like it
> cause significant (heck, even measurable) harm.

As long as they are honest about where they are coming from.  However,
spammers have a nasty habit of lying about their return address.  (And the
sysadmin of that domain gets to wade through the mountains of shit-mail
and hell caused by pissed off people.)  Either that or they hijack open
relays and cause those servers to crawl to their knees, as well as the
above headaches for the site admins of the effected servers.

I have had to clean up the mess from a couple of spammers doing the above.
(As well as the problems caused by clueless sales people at a company I
once worked for.)

Not fun.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."