CDR: ZKS and Ebola

Anonymous Remailer mix at mixmaster.ceti.pl
Thu Nov 2 16:40:01 PST 2000

Few points, in the wake of current ZKS-sold-out-no-we-did-not
discussions.

First, do we all agree who the adversary is when ZKSs customer encrypts
traffic ?

Is that the neighbor, the employer, the insurance company, ISP,
Microsoft, her husband, or the government ? All entities on this list
except one can be effectively neutralized with single-DES and free
Anonymizer.com access. The government is the only one that can do decent
multi-network tracing and break some ciphers. One needs ZKS because one
wants to get protection from the government.

Many crypto startups try to live in denial about this basic fact, and
attempt to bank on fears from "hackers", wifes and similar. That is all
bullshit. We need good crypto and good anonymity because we do not
want governments to listen on us. Wives, bosses and ISP droids can be
taken care of with freeware that can be easily found.

Government has to know what goes around, very much like living organisms
need immune system to detect undesired entities and then kill them. In
order to kill, one must detect first. And that is why governments will
never allow effective (1) crypto, that is except suicidal
governments.

The first use of effective crypto will be to replace government-based
money with private currencies and so reduce the cost of doing business
by removing the tax part. Governments exist because a) they can see the
money, b) they can force you to use it and c) they can take it away
("tax").

What do you think the reaction of armed thugs will be when they find out
that they will not be able to do a, b  c ? They will call the CEO of
crypto provider for a friendly chat.

Crypto+anonymity is AIDS for the government. It disables the immune
system and will eventually kill the creature. Thinking that the creature
will tolerate virus generators within its own corporate establishment is
just plain silly, Canada or not. Now, Zanzibar is a different story -
look it up.

(1) by "effective" I assume the one that achieves the goal - hard AND
widespread AND anonymous. PGP may be "hard" crypto, but it is used by
irrelevant percentage of population.