china-taiwan and limits of state action

dmolnar dmolnar at hcs.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 22 21:50:15 PST 2000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Richard Crisp wrote:

> I think the attacks are far more likely to be launched by the Mainland folks
> against the Taiwanese rather than the other way around. The mainlanders want
> to destabilize Taiwan. Taiwan likes a stable mainland, because so many

What intrigues me about this conflict is that it seems possible for
ordinary citizens to have the same kind of access to attack that the state
does. So speaking of "the mainlanders" or "Taiwan likes" may be misplaced.
Of course, most private citizens won't be able to do much with it, but
there may be some who will.

I agree with you with respect to the mainland and Taiwanese governments,
though.

-David