china-taiwan and limits of state action

Richard Crisp rdcrisp at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 22 20:10:01 PST 2000

I think the attacks are far more likely to be launched by the Mainland folks
against the Taiwanese rather than the other way around. The mainlanders want
to destabilize Taiwan. Taiwan likes a stable mainland, because so many
Taiwanese companies have set up manufacturing facilities in the mainland to
exploit the cheap labor. Most if not all of the PC infrastructure companies do
the bulk of their manufacturing and or assembly in the mainland because labor
is so cheap. It is not in in the business interest of Taiwan to destabilize
the mainland. On the other hand, the mainland wants Taiwan to re-join them, so
if they can weaken them they feel they are more likely to be successful.
rdc