About 5yr. log retention

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Dec 22 19:32:52 PST 2000

     --

  At 11:16 AM 12/22/2000 +0000, Ken Brown wrote:
 > 1 out of 10 for knowledge of history.
 >
 > I promise not to  mention the witch hunts, or the French & Italian
 > massacres of Protestants, or the aftermath of the Wars of religion,
 > or the Thirty Year's War or Louis XIVs campaigns in Germany,

War crimes, bad they though are, are not the same as similar crimes
committed against an unresisting and disarmed populace.

Many governments have committed crimes similar to those committed by the
nazis and commies in the course of fighting guerrilla wars, for example the
recent war crimes in Guatemala  But when the guerrilla war ended, those
governments ceased to commit those crimes.  With commies and nazis, the end
of resistance frequently resulted in an escalation, rather than diminution
of those crimes, as for example recently occurred after the communist
victories in Cambodia and South Vietnam.

During the American war between the states, the feds created artificial
famine in much the same way, for much the same reasons, as the Soviet,
Cambodian, North Korean, and Ethiopian governments did, deliberately
starving non combatants just as communist regimes did.  When the war
between the American states ended, so did hunger, whereas in communist
states, the famine intensified as resistance diminished.  The less the
resistance, the greater the destruction.

The difference between the US regime and the Pol Pot regime was small
during war, but obvious after victory.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      jmKGEODS5+FIZeg+Uw98pzyOWCS2+J8lElvJBq8F
      4Z7J6on5d8kQYvLw3jCS9FjKu9nBHlNRAj5tpgANr