Sunders point on copyright infringement & HTML

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Dec 10 19:04:18 PST 2000

At 2:19 AM +0000 12/11/00, Anonymous wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 04:46:05PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
>
>>  >>  Fact is, PGP and SMIME went the _wrong_ direction when message
>>  >>  signings started to require RTF, MIME, HTML, etc. (I realize
>>  >>  these
>>  >>  are not all the same thing. The real issue is "non-ASCII.")
>
>Apparently, Eudora didn't manage to implement MIME properly within 7
>years. That is unfortunate, but MIME is the right direction
>nevertheless.
>
>A MIME-compliant mail reader without PGP support would just display
>the message without the signature, and possible add a note that there
>was a signature that could not be verified (or that an attachment
>could not be displayed).

You're missing the point. Several people set their systems to provide
their _entire_ messages as attachments. Riad Wahby acknowledged this,
and fixed it. Others did not, so I started filtering them out.

Eudora Pro handles MIME just fine. If someone provides a message as
an attachment, whether of type JPEG or type MW, then clicking on that
attachment icon launches a JPEG viewer or Microsoft Word or whatever.

My point is that I don't see the point of expecting readers of a
mailing list to open a message in MW or whatever.

In-lining usually solves this problem. Signatures, if they exist, can
either be verified with another program or with plug-ins to speed up
the process.

--Tim May

--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)