Sunders point on copyright infringement & HTML

Anonymous nobody at remailer.ch
Sun Dec 10 18:19:18 PST 2000

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 04:46:05PM -0800, Tim May wrote:

> >>  Fact is, PGP and SMIME went the _wrong_ direction when message
> >>  signings started to require RTF, MIME, HTML, etc. (I realize
> >>  these
> >>  are not all the same thing. The real issue is "non-ASCII.")

Apparently, Eudora didn't manage to implement MIME properly within 7
years. That is unfortunate, but MIME is the right direction
nevertheless.

A MIME-compliant mail reader without PGP support would just display
the message without the signature, and possible add a note that there
was a signature that could not be verified (or that an attachment
could not be displayed). That is much better than PGP "ASCII armor"
where several lines of meaningless characters are displayed to the
user. (It is generally not a good idea to use signatures and HTML on
mailing lists, but that is an entirely different issue.)