US: Democracy or Republic?

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Sun Dec 10 17:12:23 PST 2000

At 03:26 AM 12/10/00 -0800, petro wrote:
>>On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>
>>>  >From: "Kent Snyder-The Liberty Committee"
>>> <kentsnyder at thelibertycommittee.org>
>>
>>>  >THE UNITED STATES IS NOT A DEMOCRACY.  IT IS A REPUBLIC.  THE ELECTORAL
>>
>>A republic is a form of democracy, a representative one.
>
>         No, it isn't.

Quite.  And the specter of the Florida legislature selecting a new set of
electors are providing one of the best civics educations citizens young and
old have had this century.  Its really quite healthy to have the myth of
democracy we were all taught in grade school laid bare by the reality of a
conservative and plain reading of the Constitution by some of the best and
brightest.

steve