fingerprint mouse.

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sat Dec 9 00:30:40 PST 2000

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Anonymous wrote:

>update HONG KONG--Siemens has a solution for people who constantly forget computer passwords: a mouse that recognizes fingerprints.
>

>By lightly tapping the fingertip sensor located at the top of the mouse, the device verifies the fingerprint against reference templates already input into the PC's system. Once a fingerprint is authenticated, the person can then access the PC's main operating system.

Oh, right.  And nobody could *possibly* dust it for fingerprints, etch a fingerprint
into a rubber pad, and tap the rubber pad on the sensor.  That might take what,
a whole hour?

Plus all the replay attacks, the possibility of induction monitoring on the mouse
cable, software that captures the digitized fingerprint from the serial buffer,
software that replaces the file that the fingerprint data is kept in, etc...

My biggest problem with this is that people using it will *think* their data
is secure.

					Bear