About 5yr. log retention

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Fri Dec 8 04:41:56 PST 2000

Me wrote:
> > that would be interesting to watch. for those people, the
> > "masquerade" is NON optional, and - as I understand it
> > - they simply can't give in. contrary to all the internet
> privacy,
> > where we are unwilling to give in to even more privacy being
> > taken away, but we CAN
>
> if i were to cloak my desire for privacy in the words of the
> Great Squid, would it be more legitimate?

does it matter?

the point is that almost everyone even here is not willing to go to jail
or worse for "another tiny bit of privacy". we don't draw a sharp
boundary. we don't say, for example, that knowing my street is ok, but
knowing my house number is over the line.
and the total population is even worse. the vast majority of internet
users would give you pretty much anything for a minimal return ("one
hour free surfing"), and everything else for a larger one ("$100 for my
political and sexual preferences? sure.")

the muslim veil, on the other hand, IS a sharp boundary. as I understand
it, it is NOT permisable to lift it in public under ANY circumstances.

rounding that up, I'd guess that if we were religious about our privacy,
things may be different (possibly just more ugly, but who knows).