About 5yr. log retention

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Dec 8 09:45:57 PST 2000

At 1:41 PM +0100 12/8/00, Tom Vogt wrote:
>Me wrote:

In English it is preferable to write "I wrote," though "Me wrote" is
honored in some subcultures.

>  > if i were to cloak my desire for privacy in the words of the
>>  Great Squid, would it be more legitimate?
>
>does it matter?
>
>the point is that almost everyone even here is not willing to go to jail
>or worse for "another tiny bit of privacy". we don't draw a sharp
>boundary. we don't say, for example, that knowing my street is ok, but
>knowing my house number is over the line.
>and the total population is even worse. the vast majority of internet
>users would give you pretty much anything for a minimal return ("one
>hour free surfing"), and everything else for a larger one ("$100 for my
>political and sexual preferences? sure.")
>
>the muslim veil, on the other hand, IS a sharp boundary. as I understand
>it, it is NOT permisable to lift it in public under ANY circumstances.

Me was making a different point, that presumably there is no legal
distinction, at least in America, between the religion of Islam and
the religion of the Great Squid.

As to your language about "it is NOT permissable ...under ANY
circumstances," there are many religious beliefs which are overruled
by law in the U.S. Mormon polygamy (several spouses), for example.
Peyote rituals, for another example.

Though there are some "variations in regulations" allowable for
various religions, such as rules about wearing hats in military
services, etc., there is a very general principle in the U.S. which
says that the law applies equally to all, regardless of religious
beliefs.

(This is a major reason for having a minimal state, with the set of
laws only being the "Schelling points" (a game theory term many of us
like to use) which nearly all persons can agree to.)

The Great Squid has equal standing with Mohammed, in other words.

Things are dramatically different in Germany and other countries, we
all understand. But in the U.S., no particular religion is supposed
to have any special favor in the eyes of the law. There are even
Satanist chaplains/priests in the U.S. armed services.

--Tim May

--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)