Signatures and MIME Attachments Getting Out of Hand

petro petro at bounty.org
Thu Dec 7 17:43:13 PST 2000

Wahby (WABI?) wrote:

>Tim May <tcmay at got.net> wrote:
>>  If messages are signed, great care should be taken to ensure that the
>>  signatures do not in any way interfere with the normal presentation
>>  of good old ASCII text, the lingua franca of the online world.
>
>The problem you're seeing arises because your mailer and others like
>it (Outlook, etc.) do not follow the PGP/MIME standard (RFC 2015,
>Oct. 1996), which calls for the support of the content-types
>application/pgp-encrypted, application/pgp-signature, and
>application/pgp-keys.  Unfortunately, many of us use mailers that make
>some attempt at supporting standards, and in the end you just can't
>read our mail.

	Langley's pgp message has the following headers:

protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="FCuugMFkClbJLl1L"

	Yours comes through as

	His activates the PGP plugin on my installation of Eudora.

>There is at least some blame to be placed with the people who came up
>with these standards.  A lack of backwards-compatibility is almost
>always a recipie for disaster, especially because of the sheer number
>of mail programs available.  Fortunately, I'm using an open-source
>mail client, so I'm not stuck with unsupported standards. :-)

	Of course, it doesn't play well with others, but that's common.
--
A quote from Petro's Archives:
"Despite almost every experience I've ever had with federal