Missed News: US Adopts Euro Cyber Crime Proposal ...

Greg Broiles gbroiles at netbox.com
Tue Dec 5 19:52:01 PST 2000

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 10:30:01PM -0500, Bill Stewart wrote:
> At 12:16 AM 12/5/00 -0500, Tim May wrote:
>
> >I wonder who the Tim McVeigh of the Left will be?
>
> For more recent events, even though there isn't much of a Left left,
> you could either believe the FBI saying Judi Bari blew up
> herself and her friend with a pipe bomb a few years back,
> or believe everybody else who think the cops did it.
> (The friend was killed; Judy was injured, and she recently
> died of cancer.)

The friend was Daryl Cherney, and he's not dead, and is still
making trouble ^H^H^H singing folk songs up near Humboldt, I
think. He was mentioned recently in the Contra Costa Times for
helping to coordinate a womens' topless protest against
clearcuts in coastal northern CA.

My guess is that the left's Tim McVeigh (or David Koresh, or
Randy Weaver, for variants on that story) will come out of
the animal liberation groups - Rodney Coronado has already
spent a fair amount of time in jail, and there's whoever set
that log-cabin-style ski lodge in Vail on fire. Ted
Kaczynski seems like a good candidate - I think he and
McVeigh have been talking in prison, they're being held in
the same facility IIRC.

But most of the left is too superstitious about having a
personal relationship with violence for a likely suspect to
emerge - they don't really embrace it until they're already
in power, and then they're happy to use the existing
institutional providers of force.

Greg Broiles gbroiles at netbox.com
PO Box 897
Oakland CA 94604