NETWORK.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Tue May 11 05:55:52 PDT 1999

New Times Reporter Filed Over Bullshit Story
Los Angeles New Times L.A. freelance writer Antoine Oman has been fired for
fabricating a story about teenage rape victims Tamara Brooks and Jackie
Marris. Oman, who had a short history with the alternative weekly, was
escorted from New Times' offices on Friday afternoon and made no comment.
His story, published in last week's issue, claimed that the NBC television
network was about to announce that Brooks and Marris had been signed to
host a new prime-time reality show produced by an amoral lowlife named
Billy Slattery. The program, supposedly slated as a midseason replacement,
was to be called Survive This!. According to Oman's story, the show would
have pitted teenage contestants against recently paroled predatory sex
offenders, all of whom would be released in a remote and wild locale. NBC,
however, said that no such show is planned, and that Slattery does not exist.
Neither, it turns out, do the other so-called "experts" whom Oman quoted in
his story.
"This is a dark day for New Times, and it puts a black eye on all of Los
Angeles journalism," lamented NT editor Rick Barrs, who has helmed the
feisty publication since its 1996 inception. "I can only extend my deepest
apologies to the Peacock network, which I should have known would never
stoop so low for ratings."
For the rest read
http://www.newtimesla.com/issues/2002-08-22/faultlines.html/1/index.html
http://www.movieactors.com/winm/m76.htm